Do you know why Muslims generally break their fast by eating dates?
Prophet Muhammad is reported to have said, “If any one of you is fasting, let him break his fast with dates. In case he does not have them, then with water. Verily water is a purifier.”
Dates contain sugar, fat and proteins, as well as important vitamins. Hence the great importance attached to them by the Prophet.
Following are the 6 health benefits of eating dates after fasting:
- Dates are easy to digest so they don’t exhaust the fasting person stomach.
- Dates decrease the great hunger feeling of the fasting person and so he doesn’t rush into excessive food eating which causes digestion disorders.
- Dates prepare the stomach to receive the food after being inactive through out the day with activating the release of digestive secretions and juices.
- Dates are very rich with sugary energy and so the body is supplied with the most important nutrients which is sugar that is irreplaceable as a nutrient for the brain cells and nerves.
- Dates protect the fasting person from having constipation as a result of changing meals times or as a result of having low fiber amounts in meals.
- The alkaline salts in dates adjust the acidity of blood which result from excessiveness eating of meat and carbohydrates which causes a lot of hereditary diseases as diabetes, gout, renal stones, gall bladder inflammations, high blood pressure and hemorrhoids).
(credit to orbitislam.com)
by Martina Bettella